Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thrift Shopping Does Terrible Things To You

I went to a wedding reception with my Mom tonight. I was very excited about wearing one of my latest finds. I went to the DI last week and blew more than I was supposed to on skirts (as ever, skirts was the last thing I intended to buy when I walked in). 

...so if I had seen this skirt a couple of years ago, or even a year ago I would have probably showed it to any chance shopping companion and noted how ugly it was. Now I instantly seized on it and being different, fun, and a bit whimsical. I thought I should buy it and give it to my sister because it would look cute with her cowboy boots.

I tried said skirt on to see if it would fit my sister and almost instantly decided that I liked it too much to give it to her. The western look is not something I wear much, but I fell for this skirt like a ton of bricks (note the single ruffle down the front).


 Better and better my navy shoes went perfectly with it. I couldn't resist these at the vintage store about a year ago, they are rockin' and went perfectly with this navy velvet dress I was wearing to a costume party. They turned out to be a mistake as they didn't quite fit. I always try to remind myself never to buys shoes if they don't fit because no matter how cute they are they hardly ever get worn if wearing them entails significant levels of pain. As it's been a while since their rather painful debut, I've been thinking if I break them to my foot a bit they'll be good as long as I don't wear them to events where I have to walk far or stand for long. Modern shoes do tend to have more amenities such as padding... I've been suspicious about navy previously in my life, it always seemed to be an old woman's color. (If you have ever read Vicky Bliss novels I always cringe when she goes out for the night and the drop-dead hot outfit all the men are panting over is a navy blue pants-suit. I adore Elizabeth Peters books, but even the one came out in 2000-whatever had the infamous navy pants-suit.) Having said that I am developing an excellent relationship with navy. The awesome dress I wore to my sister's wedding was navy and if only these shoes were a tad more comfortable they would look great with so many items in my wardrobe. They did quite respectably on their outing tonight, so hopefully there is a more eventful future in store for them.

No comments: