Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ancestry

A month or so ago my friend gave a talk in church about family history and after church this guy came up told her nice talk, and it almost made him want to think family history wasn't boring. Personally I have always found it fascinating. I remember being at a summer camp when I was 12 and we played a get-to-know-you skittles game and one of the questions was "What is your favorite holiday?". I didn't get that question but I thought about it very seriously for some reason because I didn't have an answer. The obvious ones were Christmas and Easter because people liked getting candy and presents. While I like Christmas and Easter it seemed shallow to pick either of them as my favorite for that reason, and also because it didn't seem to fit. After some deliberation I decided that if asked I would say my favorite holiday was Memorial Day. Growing up I always loved going to the cemetery and putting flowers on the graves. I loved the ritual, I loved hearing the stories about all the people and would remind my mom if she forgot any that I'd heard before. I've always felt that my ancestors are a part of who I am and I have always found that personal tie with history fascinating--such a tangible link with history, and a reminder of that contradiction of how things are so different, but in other ways as humans we are the same.

My mom and I have been trying to buy a digital voice recorder for ages we finally got one and we went and talked to her Father (pictured with Whitney above) today about his parents and grandparents. Previously I don't remember hearing as many stories about that side of the family. I learned so much and I was filled with such a love for these people. I was so impressed with what hard workers they were and I am proud to be their descendant. I am very excited to talk more with both of my Grandpas and my Grandma.

No comments: