Friday, July 9, 2010

Preston!

So my maternal-paternal great-grandmother lived in a little house Preston, ID for most of her life and that is where all the stories my mom and her sibling/cousins concerning that side of the family take place. Going to visit Grandma Lloyd, the huge meals she'd pull out of the freezer for them, her industry and do-it-yourself gusto, and her knitting and sewing. I'm the little girl in blue in this first picture, so as you can see, while I know I've been there I don't remember. I wanted to go and see the house, so I know where it was and just visit as an adult. My mom and I were taking my little sister up to Logan for college orientation, so we planned to go to Preston and look around while she was being oriented. It turned out a little more bitter-sweet than imagined as this is where my grandfather that passed away several days before had grown up, but it was definitely more sweet than bitter.

We had a wonderful time. We found the house and went to Sprouce-Reitz (now known as Kings) where she bought all her yarn (which was a lot) and also worked as a cashier. We also went to the DI. We got a couple of little dishes and my mom found me an old tin globe (it has the USSR on it) that I am totally thrilled about. We also saw the Indian and her Papoose rock on the mountain heading out.
The back of Sprouse-Reitz (aka Kings)
The indian and papoose rocks, not the best picture of it, but there it is.
It was so beautiful up there.

No comments: