Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DLL Excerpt

Below is an excerpt from one of my favorite books, Daddy-Long-Legs (by Jean Webster, written 1912).

Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

I started downtown today to buy a bottle of shoe blacking and some collars and the material for a new blouse and a jar of violet cream and a cake of castil soap -- all very necessary; I couldn't be happy another day without them -- and when I tried to pay the carfare, I found that I had left my purse in the pocket of my other coat. So I had to get out and take the next car, and was late for gymnasium. It's a dreadful thing to have no memory and two coats!

Isn't it funny the mundane things, that you run out of; and then all of a sudden they are your TOP priority "all very necessary; I couldn't be happy another day without them". Also, I think most of us have had those, left-my-wallet-in-my-other-purse-days. Here are some things I drove 20 mins out of my way to get mostly for the above reasons.

1 comment:

Whitney Denney said...

I should read that book again, I don't think I fully appreciated it the first time around. I wonder what I go out of my way for?